Dr. Expert left me a message on Monday that he wanted to try a new protocol and told me to call his nurse and she would explain it to me. That may sound really impersonal to some, but, I've been through this enough that I don't really need the crying WTF appointment anymore. So, this was fine. I called her and she didn't get back to me until Tuesday. She explained that he wanted to do a protocol called co-flare. As she reviewed the details, it sounded quite similar to the microflare protocol I did in IVF's #2 and 3 that failed miserably (although I think there are extenuating circumstances as to why both failed and not necessarily the protocols fault).
The thing is, I just feel too far along in this to, by my perception, take a step backwards and "try" things. So, I put in a call to Dr. Expert. I just wanted to hear from him that there is enough of a difference in this protocol to warrant trying it.
He called me back yesterday and explained the whole thing to me again. I told him my concern and he said that he realized I had done microflare (although he could only recall me having done it once, not the twice that I did it) but he does feel this is significantly different. There will be no pre-cycle suppressants at all. My best cycles have been with no suppressants. So, I'll start full strength lupron (as opposed to diluted like you do in microflare) on day 2, scaling back the dose on day 4. And, on day 3 I'll start, are you ready for this, 600 iu of Follistim a day!! Holy meds! Some people take that amount in total their whole cycle!
He said that if this doesn't work, there are other avenues (basically his way of saying this is probably the end of the line for my eggs) and he knows that we have explored donor egg, but, he felt that he wanted one more shot to get me to ER. He said that he thinks we might be able to get back to 4 eggs, my best cycle, but, that he knows me may eat those words in 6 weeks, something neither of us wants to happen! I like and appreciate his honesty.
So, this protocol starts on Day 2. Unfortunately, today is Day 4, so, I have to wait a whole month, but, he wanted me to wait anyway to give my body a chance to calm down. I don't know. My best cycle came right on the tails of a failed IUI cycle, but, it's a moot point because it's too late to start this protocol anyway. I know it's only a month, but, I still have to get through Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur (I had my ER on Yom Kippur last year for the cycle that resulted in a pregnancy....) and the thought of getting through another holiday season is tough. The good news is that I should get started shortly after.