Sunday, April 6, 2008

High School Musical

Apparently this is the big show that all of the high schools are now putting on. We used to do classics like Oklahoma, Gypsy, and Camelot. Now, they do High School Musical.

Anyway, I went to see it yesterday with my dear friend and her two kids, who I love immensely. And, they were adorable - leaning on me, you know, when they put their sweet little hand on your leg or your arm just because they are happy you're sitting next to them....

So, if you've seen the movie, you know there's a scene where they look at Troy's father's yearbook. He graduated high school in 1981. 1981. I graduated in 1987. Glenn graduated in 1978. And, here we are, still trying for a baby, while he's coaching his kid in high school basketball!

And, then came the big finale number. Yep, you guessed it, I cried. But why? I guess it was a combination of watching these high school kids doing what I loved doing (singing and performing) and wishing that I was watching my teenager up there while, at the same time, seeing all of the enthralled 6-10 year olds sitting around me, wishing any one of them was mine.

The weird thing is that I was embarrassed about all of these feelings. I told my friend (who, I'm sure, is reading this) that I teared up because I was stifling a cough, which is partly true, but, really, it was so much more than that. And, I'm sure she knew that but loves me enough to not have pushed it. And, for that, I'm grateful.

2 comments:

Ariella said...

I don't know what to say but I know a big hug always helps me. (((((HUGS))))))))

Barbara said...

Hello! You don't know me but I found your site thru my daughters blog. She and her husband struggled with infertility. They are pj now after invetro for which we are so thankful. My heart goes out to you. I pray you will realize your hearts desire to become a mother somseday. I just wanted to say - don't be ashamed of your raw emotions. You are grieving and it is very important for you to not to deny what you are feeling. Sorry for the mini lecture - I'm trying to be encouraging:)