Sunday, June 15, 2008

The power of erasing

As you all know, June 14th was a date burned in my memory, one I hate remembering, but, in a way, don't ever want to forget.

As you also know, it was the most prominent date on the calendar, if only to my eyes.

I sort of fixed that today. We have a white board/wipe off calendar on our refrigerator. It's kind of cool - each week is a separate piece, so, at the end of that week, you erase everything and move it to the bottom, move the other pieces up, and you basically have a rolling calendar.

This morning, I was updating some events in the coming weeks and, of course, yesterday, June 14th kept pulling my eye back. Nothing was written there except for the date, but, I couldn't stop looking at it. So, in an act of internal defiance, I erased the 14! Yep, just completely erased it, leaving a dateless day! And, you know what, I laughed at my arrogance at thinking I could obliterate a whole day, even if it was only on my refrigerator, but, more importantly, it felt great! What power!!

Even now, sitting on my couch, looking towards the kitchen, I can see the calendar, but, there's no 14 glaring back at me!! It's been wiped away!

Makes you wonder what it would be like if our brains worked like white boards, hmmm...

7 comments:

Busted said...

Good for you! Dates are so arbitrary - why let the calendar tell us when to be upset?

Bee Cee said...

Hope that yesterday wasn't too upsetting for you and I so like what you did with the calendar. I think my mind works the same 'cause I would have done the same!

Ms Heathen said...

Why is that, however much we may try not to think about them, dates such as this one always remind us of what might have been?

I'm glad that you were able at least to wipe it from your refrigerator door.

Thinking of you.

Polly Gamwich said...

I too am a 629.81'er ... and I'm glad to see that that number between 13 & 15 (now, what number was that again, I don't remember?) has dropped off the face of your calendar. Who needs it?

Hugs,
Polly

Wishing 4 One said...

Good for you! I have tucked my IVF book/journal away, dont want to see it, dont want to see the dates, nothing. but if and when we try IVF #6 i will drag it out again, dust it off and start dating things again.

Hugs to you my friend...Happy Anniversay in two days. Us too, 12 years next week.

Christi said...

Good for you! I need one of those boards, there are a few dates that I would like to rub away too....

Kami said...

Great solution! I hope you are doing well.